RAJASTHAN PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION
Mains Exam Scheme
RAS Mains Syllabus: General Knowledge and General Studies: Paper I
Unit I: History
Part A: History, Art, Culture, Literature, Tradition, and Heritage of Rajasthan
- Major landmarks in the History of Rajasthan from Pre-historic time to close of 18th Century, Important dynasties, their administrative and revenue system.
- Salient events of 19th & 20th centuries: Peasant & Tribal Movements. Political Awakening, Freedom Movement and Integration.
- Heritage of Rajasthan: Performing & fine Art, Handicraft and Architecture; Fairs, Festivals, Folk Music and Folk Dance
- Important works of Rajasthani Literature and Dialects of Rajasthan.
- Saints , Lok Devtas and eminent personalities of Rajasthan
Part B: Indian History & Culture
- Indian heritage: Fine Art, Performing Art, Architecture & Literature from Indus Civilization to British Era.
- Religious Movements and religious philosophy in Ancient and Medieval India.
- History of Modern India from beginning of 19th Century to 1965 AD: Significant events, personalities and issues.
- Indian National Movement- Its various stages & streams, important contributors and contribution from different parts of the country.
- Socio-religious Reform Movements in 19th and 20th Century.
- Post Independence consolidation and reorganisation – Accession of princely states & Linguistic reorganisation of the states
Part C: History of Modern World (up to 1950AD)
- Renaissance and Reformation.
- Enlightenment and Industrial Revolution.
- Imperialism and colonialism in Asia and Africa.
- Impact of World Wars.
Unit II: Economics
Part A: Indian Economy
- Major Sectors of Economy: Agriculture, Industry & Service- Current Status, Issues and Initiatives.
- Banking: Concept of Money supply & High Powered Money. Role and Functions of Central Bank & Commercial Banks, issues of NPA, Financial Inclusion. Monetary Policy- Concept, objectives & Instruments.
- Public Finance: Tax reforms in India- Direct & Indirect, subsidies- Cash Transfer and other related issues. Recent Fiscal Policy of India.
- Recent Trends in Indian Economy: Role of Foreign Capital, MNCs, PDS, FDI, Exim Policy, 12th Finance Commission (Our view:Should be 12 Plan or 14th FC), Poverty alleviation schemes.
Part B: World Economy
RAS mains syllabus of World Economy includes following topics:
- Global Economic issues and trends: Role of World Bank, IMF & WTO.
- Concept of Developing, Emerging and Developed countries.
- India in global Scenario.
Part C: Economy of Rajasthan
- Agriculture, Horticulture, Forestry, Dairy and Animal husbandry with special reference to Rajasthan.
- Industrial Sector- Growth and recent trends.
- Growth, Development & Planning with special reference to Rajasthan.
- Recent development and issues in service sector of Rajasthan.
- Major Development Projects of Rajasthan- their objectives and impact.
- Public Private Partnership Model for Economic Transformation in Rajasthan.
- Demographic Scenario of the State and its impact on Rajasthan Economy.
Unit III: Sociology, Management, Accounting & Auditing
Part A: Sociology
RAS mains syllabus of Solciology includes following topics:
- Development of Sociological Thought in India.
- Social Values.
- Caste Class & Occupation.
- Varna, Ashram, Purusharth and Sanskar Vyavastha.
- Issues and Problems of Society.
- Tribal community of Rajasthan: Bhil, Mina (Meena) and Garasia
Part B: Management
- Management – Scope, concept, functions of Management – Planning, Organizing, Staffing, Direction, Coordination and Control, Decision-Making: concept, process and techniques.
- Modern concept of Marketing, Marketing Mix – Product, Price, Place and Promotion
- Objective, concept of maximization of wealth, Sources of Finance – Short and Long term, Capital Structure, Cost of Capital.
- Concept and Main theories of Leadership and Motivation, Communication, Basics of recruitment, selection, induction, training & development and appraisal system
Part C: Accounting & Auditing
- Techniques of analysis of Financial statements, Basics of Working Capital Management, Responsibility and Social Accounting
- Meaning & Objectives of Auditing, Internal Control, Social, Performance and Efficiency Audit.
- Basics of different types of Budgeting, Budgetary control
RAS Mains Syllabus: General Knowledge and General Studies: Paper II
Paper II shall include 3 units:
- Unit I: Administrative Ethics
- Unit II: General Science & Technology
- Unit III: Earth Science (Geography & Geology)
Each of the above units includes parts A, B, C..and so on.
Unit I: Administrative Ethics
Ethics and Human Values :
- Lesson from lives and teachings of great leaders, reformers and administrators.
- Role of family, society and educational institutions in inculcating values.
- Ethical concept-Rit and Rin, concept of Duties, concept of Good and Virtues.
- Ethics in private and public relationships.
- Behaviour, Moral and Political attitudes of administrators – Philosophical basis of Integrity.
- Ethics of Bhagavad Geeta and its role in Administration.
- Gandhian Ethics.
- Contribution of Moral Thinkers and Philosophers from India.
- Psycho-Stress Management.
- Case Studies.
- Emotional Intelligence – Concepts and their Utilities.
Unit II: General Science & Technology
- Nanotechnology :- Concept and its application; Nano Mission of India.
- Nuclear technology :- Basic concept, radioactivity and its applications, different types of nuclear reactors, civilian and military uses. Institutional structure for development of nuclear technology in India.
- Telecommunication :- Basic concept, Telecom application for socio-economic development of masses, Indian telecom industry with brief history, National Telecom Policy and TRAI (Telecom Regulatory Authority of India)
- Electromagnetic waves, communication systems, basics of computers, uses of information technology, e-governance and e-commerce in administration.
- Defence :- Types of missiles with reference to the India Missile Programme; Various chemical and biological weapons ; Role of DRDO in various fields (other than weapons).
- States of Matter
- Allotropes of carbon.
- pH Scale and importance of pH in daily life.
- Corrosion and its prevention
- Soap and Detergents – Cleansing action of soap.
- Polymers and their uses
- General awareness of digestive, respiratory, circulatory, excretory, coordination and reproductive system of Humans
- Application of Biotechnology and concerned Ethical and Intellectual Property Right Issues. Food and Human Health : General Awareness of Balanced and Unbalanced Food, Malnutrition, Intoxicants, Blood, Blood Group and Immunity (Antigen, Antibodies), Blood Transfusion, Immunization & Vaccination.
- Human diseases : Communicable & Non Communicable Diseases, Acute and Chronic Diseases; Causes and Prevention of Infectious, Genetic and Lifestyle Disease.
- Water quality and water purification.
- Public Health Initiatives with special reference to the State of Rajasthan.
- Contribution of Indian Scientists in Science and Technology.
- Ecosystem : Structure and Function.
- Atmosphere : Composition and Basic nutrient cycling (Nitrogen, Carbon and Water Cycles)
- Climate Change; Renewable and Non-Renewable Energy.
- Environmental Pollution and Degradation; Waste Management.
- Biodiversity and its conservation with special reference to the state of Rajasthan.
- Water Conservation with special reference to the Traditional Systems in the State of Rajasthan.
- Agriculture, Horticulture, Forestry, Dairy and Animal Husbandry with special reference to Rajasthan.
Unit III: Earth Science (Geography & Geology)
Part A: Geography of World
- Broad Physical Feature: Mountains, Plateaus, Plains, Lakes and Glaciers.
- Earthquakes and Volcanoes: Types, distribution and their impact
- Earth and its Geological time scale.
- Current Geopolitical Problems.
Part B: Geography of India
- Broad Physical Features: Mountains, Plateaus, Plains, Lakes and Glaciers.
- Major Physiographic divisions of India.
- Climate- Origin of Monsoon, Seasonal Climatic conditions, Distribution of rainfall and climatic regions.
- Natural Resources:
- (a) Water, Forest, Soil
- (b) Rocks & Mineral: Types and their uses
- Population: Growth, Distribution and Density, Sex-ratio, Literacy, urban and Rural Population.
Part C: Geography of Rajasthan
- Broad Physical Features: Mountains, Plateaus, Plains, Rivers and Lakes.
- Major Physiographic Regions.
- Natural Vegetation and Climate.
- Livestock, Wildlife and its Conversation.
- Agriculture- Major Crops.
- Mineral Resources:
- (i) Metallic Minerals- Types, distribution and Industrial uses and their conservation.
- (ii)Non- Metallic Minerals- Types, distribution and Industrial uses and their conservation.
- Energy Resources: Conventional and Non-conventional.
- Population and Tribes.
RAS Mains Syllabus: General Knowledge and General Studies: Paper III
Paper III shall include 3 units:
- Unit I: Indian Political System, World Politics and Current Affairs
- Unit II:Concepts, Issues and Dynamics of Public Administration and Management
- Unit III: Sports & Yoga, Behavior and Law
Each of the above units includes parts A, B, C..and so on.
Unit I: Indian Political System, World Politics and Current Affairs
- Indian Constitution: Framing, Features, Amendments, Basic Structure.
- Ideological Contents: Preamble, Fundamental Rights, Directive Principles of State Policy, Fundamental Duties.
- Institutional framework- I: Parliamentary System, President, Prime Minister and Council of Ministers, Parliament.
- Institutional Framework- II: Federalism, Centre-State relations, Supreme Court, High Courts, Judicial Review, Judicial Activism.
- Institutional Framework- III: Election Commission of India, Comptroller and Auditor General, Union Public Service Commission, NITI Aayog, Central Vigilance Commission, Central Information Commission, National Human Rights Commission
- Political Dynamics: Role of Cast, Religion, Class, Ethnicity, Language and Gender in Indian Politics, Political Parties and Electoral Behaviour, Civil Society and Political Movement, Issues related to National Integrity and Security.
- Potential areas of Socio-Political conflicts.
- State Politics of Rajasthan: Party System, Political Demography, Different phases of Political competition in Rajasthan, Panchayati Raj and Urban self Government Institutions
- Emerging World Order in the post Cold War era, USA’s hegemony and its resistance, UN and Regional Organizations, International Terrorism and Environmental issues.
- Foreign Policy of India: Evolution, Determinants, India’s relations with USA, China, Russia and European Union, India’s role in UN, NAM, BRICS, G- 20, G- 77 and SAARC.
- Geo-political and Strategic development in South Asia, South East Asia and West Asia and their impact on India.
- Current Affairs: Current events, persons and places of Rajasthan, National and international importance, recent activities related to games and sports.
Unit II:Concepts, Issues and Dynamics of Public Administration and Management
- Administration and management: Meaning, nature and significance. Its role in developed & developing societies. Evolution of Public Administration as a discipline, new public administration, Theories of public administration.
- Concepts of power, authority, legitimacy, responsibility and delegation.
- Principles of organization: Hierarchy, Span of control and unity of command
- Functions of management, Corporate governance and social responsibility
- New dimensions of public management, management of change.
- Aptitude and foundational values of civil services: integrity, impartiality, and non partisanship, dedication to public service, relationship between generalists and specialists.
- Legislative & Judicial control over administration: various methods and techniques of legislative & judicial control.
- Administrative setup, administrative culture in Rajasthan: Governor, Chief Minister, Council of Ministers, State Secretariat and Chief Secretary.
- District administration: organization, role of District Collector and Superintendent of Police, Sub-divisional and Tehsil administration.
- Development Administration: Meaning, Scope and Characteristics.
- State Human Rights Commission, State Election Commission, Lokayukt, Rajasthan Public Service Commission, Public Service Guarantee Act, 2011
Unit III: Sports and Yoga, Behavior and Law
Part A- Sports and Yoga
- Sports Policies of India.
- Rajasthan State Sports Council.
- National Awards of Sports. (Arjuna Award, Dronacharya Award, Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award, Maharana Pratap Award etc.)
- Yoga – Positive way of Life.
- Eminent Players of India.
- First Aid in Sports.
- Participation of Indian Atheletes in Olympics and Para-Olympic Games.
Part B – Behavior
- Intelligence: Cognitive intelligence, Social intelligence, Emotional intelligence, Cultural intelligence and Howard Gardner’s theory of multiple intelligence.
- Personality: Psychoanalytical theories, Trait and Type theories, Determinants of personality and Assessment of personality.
- Learning and Motivation: styles of learning, Models of memory, causes of forgetting. Classification and types of motives, Theories of work motivation, Assessment of motivation
- Meeting Life Challenges: Stress: Nature, type, Sources, Symptoms, Effects, Stress Management, Promotion of Positive health and well being.
- Concepts of Law: Ownership and possession, Personality, Liability, Rights and Duties.
- Contemporary Legal issues: Right to information, Information technology law including cyber laws (concepts, purpose, prospects), Intellectual Property Rights (concepts, types, purpose, prospects)
- Crimes against Women and Children: Domestic Violence, Sexual Harassment the work place, the protection of children from sexual offenses Act 2012, Laws related to child labour.
- Important Land Laws in Rajasthan: Rajasthan Land Revenue Act, 1956; Rajasthan Tenancy Act, 1955
RAS Mains Syllabus: General Hindi and General English: Paper IV
Paper IV shall include 2 units:
- Unit I: General Hindi
- Unit II: General English
Each of the above units includes parts A, B, C..and so on.
Unit I: General Hindi
भाग अ- (अंक 50)
- संधि एवं संधि-विच्छेद – दिए हुए शब्दों की संधि करना और संधि-विच्छेद करना।
- उपसर्ग – सामान्य ज्ञान, उपसर्गों से शब्दों की संरचना तथा शब्दों में से उपसर्गएवं शब्द पृथक् करना
- प्रत्यय – सामान्य ज्ञान, दिए हुए प्रत्ययों से शब्द बनाना और शब्दों में से शब्द एवं प्रत्यय पृथक् करना
- पर्यायवाची शब्द
- विलोम शब्द
- समश्रुत भिन्नार्थक शब्द–दिए हुए शब्द-युग्म का अर्थभेद वाक्यांश के लिए सार्थक शब्द शब्द शुधि। वाक्य शुधि
- मुहावरे- मुहावरों का वाक्य में सटीक प्रयोग
- कहावत/लोकोक्ति-केवल भावार्थ
- पारिभाषिक शब्दावली- प्रशासन से संबंधित अंग्रेजी शब्दों के समानार्थ हिन्दी
भाग ब- (अंक 50)
- संक्षिप्तीकरण – गद्यावतरण का उचित शीर्षक एवं लगभग एक-तिहाई शब्दों मेंसंक्षिप्तीकरण (गद्यावतरण की शब्द सीमा लगभग 100 शब्द)
- पल्लवन – किसी सूक्ति, काव्य पंक्ति, प्रसिद्ध कथन आदि का भाव विस्तार(शब्द सीमा–लगभग 100 शब्द)
- पत्र-लेखन – सामान्य कार्यालयी पत्र, कार्यालय आदेश, अर्धशासकीय पत्र, अनुस्मारक
- प्रारूप-लेखन – अधिसूचना, निविदा, परिपत्र, विज्ञप्ति
- अनुवाद – दिए हुए अंग्रेजी अनुच्छेद का हिंदी में अनुवाद।
भाग स- (अंक 20)
- किसी सामयिक एवं अन्य विषय पर निबंध लेखन (शब्द सीमा लगभग-250 शब्द)
Unit: II General English (Total marks 80)
Part A- Grammar & Usage (20 Marks)
RAS mains syllabus of Grammar includes following topics:
- Correction of Sentences: 10 sentences for correction with errors related to: Articles & Determiners
- Tenses & Sequence of Tenses
- Voice- Active & Passive
- Narration- Direct & Indirect
- Synonyms & Antonyms
- Phrasal Verbs & Idioms
- One Word Substitute
- Words often Confused or Misused
Part B- Comprehension, Translation & Precis Writing (30 Marks)
- Comprehension of an Unseen Passage (250 Words approximately):
- 05 Questions based on the passage.
- Question No. 05 should preferably be on vocabulary.
- Translation of five sentences from Hindi to English.
- Precis Writing (a short passage of approximately 150-200 words)
Part C- Composition & Letter Writing (30 Marks)
- Paragraph Writing- Any 01 paragraph out of 03 given topics (approximately 200 words)
- Elaboration of a given theme (Any 1 out of 3, approximately 150 words)
- Letter Writing or Report Writing (approximately 150 words)